DM: RE: Research based on restricted-access data.

From: osborn
Date: Wed Nov 17 21:41:44 1999

This isn't all that unusual. A related issue involves confidential
record, which I've done some modelling from. Government
regulations require a suitably qualified person to intervene
ot make data anonymous and not traceable back to individuals
(or even specific groups) - eg in superannuation funds
customer data. The qualified person I'm most familiar with
is qualified both as a lawyer and an actuary, and has database
skills.

The end result is a database extract to model and validate from.
That extract may well not cover all the exploratory work (which
was done with privacy assurance), but is suitably anonymous
for a third party to determine validity of conclusions, or support
publication (which Richard would like). I've published where the
client's name has been withheld, for example.

However, if the client wishes any or all information withheld, that's
their right. They paid for the work. Some clients don't even
want it known they're even thinking about 'new fangled methods",
although they use the results. There are many reasons why.
Some reasons are even rational...

If you don't sign away IP of the data mining methods and
refinements, you should be able to demonstrate with a
different, but similar (by information structure) dataset...

Tom.
Dr Tom Osborn
Director of Modelling
NTF