Re: DM: Research assistance

From: Mac Johnstone
Date: Thu Dec 16 07:43:27 1999

Melvin Uy wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am doing a project based on data mining and its use as a valid marketing
> tool. I would appreciate any suggestions about any relevant books, journals
> and/or websites that I could refer to.
>
> Regards,
>
> Melvin
Melvin:
I recommend "Data Mining Techniques For Marketing, Sales, and Customer
Support" by Berry and Linoff.  Not too technical, but covers the
subject.  Has a reading list for further study.

If you need to get hands-on experience with data mining, I recommend
"Predictive Data Mining - A Practical Guide" by Weiss and Indurkhya.  A
very inexpensive software package is available with all of the methods
mentioned in the book.

A good general source is www.kdnuggets.com/index.html.

Regards,
Mac