DM: FUZZYMANAGER software released

From: Andrew Gray
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 09:59:35 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

We have just released the first version of the FUZZYMANAGER
software package for Microsoft Windows (95/NT, should run under
98 but this hasn't yet been tested).  This was developed within the
Software Metrics Research Laboratory (SMRL) here at the
University of Otago.  The software currently consists of two
modules called FULSOME (Fuzzy Logic for Software Metrics) and
CLUESOME (Cluster Extraction for Software Metrics).

As the names suggest the software was originally developed with
the requirements of project managers/software metricians in mind.
Thus, the software is intended to be very easy to use, guides the
user through the steps of creating fuzzy systems, has a very
graphical interface to explain the inference process, has a variety
of
options for experimenting, etc.

However, despite the name, as this list of features suggests it
could also be used just as well by anyone wanting a simple
interface to fuzzy logic systems and fuzzy clustering.  It will be
used for an introductory course segment on fuzzy logic and we
think that it has some promise for teaching purposes.

The FULSOME software allows for data editing, membership
creation, rule editing, and inference with a reasonable variety of t-
norms, t-conorms, defuzzication methods, and system options.

CLUESOME uses the same file formats to extract membership
functions and/or rules from data (and existing membership
functions if only rules are desired) based on fuzzy-clustering
algorithms.  This can, optionally, all be accomplished using a
wizard interface.  These systems are generally adequate as rough
drafts for an expert to refine, but perform quite well when compared
to other techniques such as regression (where the generalisation

performance is much better based on the results from simulations
using various small data sets) even when used without expert
intervention.

The software can be downloaded from the below web page.

http://smrl.otago.ac.nz/downloads/software/fuzzymanager/

This is part of our new web site which is currently being built up
from our old site.  As such most of the pages are still blank, but
the existing web site below is still available.

http://divcom.otago.ac.nz:800/com/infosci/smrl/home.html

More recent papers (including a few on FUZZYMANAGER that
were published at recent conferences), presentations, etc. than
those that are on the old server will eventually appear on the new
server.

This is the first release of the software so we would be especially
grateful for suggestions, criticisms, and any offers of collaboration
with further development (testing, success stories, etc.).  We have
several other modules that are under development that will
hopefully be released soon.

We are hoping to make new releases of FUZZYMANAGER every
couple of weeks with changes made based on the feedback we
receive.  So please send your comments as soon as possible.

We also provide four listserv-based mailing lists for announcing new
releases of FUZZYMANAGER, discussing FUZZYMANAGER,
fuzzy logic for project management, and computational intelligence
techniques for software engineering that may be of interest to
anyone downloading the software (especially the first two).

Cheers,
Andrew

Software Metrics Research Laboratory
Department of Information Science, University of Otago
agray@infoscience.otago.ac.nz
phone +64 3 479 5282 fax +64 3 479 8311