RE: DM: Datamining tools ... black boxes...

From: Sergei Ananyan
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 13:08:10 -0000

"Some Data Mining tools are presented like black boxes" simply because
they ARE black boxes. It is not possible to make much sense of say, a
trained
Neural Network or the Memory Based Reasoning algorithm results. You have
to believe the underlying math in order to trust their predictions.

Yet some algorithms like SKAT (Symbolic Knowledge Acquisition Technology)
or Decision Trees provide more intuitive results, which can be comprehended
by an analyst.

To see SKAT in operation, you can download a working evaluation copy of
PolyAnalyst implementing ten different machine learning algorithms (SKAT
among them) from Megaputer web site: www.megaputer.com.

--
Yours,

Sergei Ananyan
Megaputer
Tel: (812) 325-3026,  Fax: (812) 339-1646
Please visit our website http://www.megaputer.com

Email: firschng@nautilus-systems.com
Mail converted by MHonArc 2.2.0