Re: DM: RE: Pruning methods

From: Peter Hamer
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 16:00:38 +0000

Donal Lyons wrote:

 > For CART the definitive book is Leo Breiman et al., Classification and
 > Regression Trees (CART), Wadsworth & Brooks, 1984.

I heard a rumour that this has long been out of print, and has recently
been reprinted by somebody. Although amazon still quote 4-6 weeks
on the original. I would be pleased to receive clarification if anybody
knows the true situation.

The original poster may also be interested in
http://www.amstat.org/publications/jcgs/abstracts98/leblanc.html
Monotone Shrinkage of Trees
Michael LeBlanc and Robert Tibshirani
We investigate a new method for regression trees which obtains
estimates and predictions subject to constraints on the coefficients
representing the effects of splits in the tree. The procedure leads
to both shrinking of the node estimates and pruning of branches in
the tree and for some problems gives better predictions than cost-
complexity pruning used in the classification and regression tree
(CART) algorithm. The new method is based on the least absolute
shrinkage and selection operator (LASSO) method developed by
Tibshirani.

Peter

Email: firschng@nautilus-systems.com
Mail converted by MHonArc 2.2.0