Re: DM: Reminder: Workshop on "Advances in Conceptual Modeling in Design"

From: Franklin Wayne Poley
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 12:34:33 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 1 May 2000, Simeon Simoff wrote:

 > The goal of the workshop is to provide a forum for presenting and discussing
 > an on-going state-of-the-art research and applications in conceptual
 > modeling as part of the artificial intelligence methodologies in design.

I thought I would take the statement above as a lead-in to my question
about a different kind of conceptual modeling. Would it be possible to set
out a conceptual model for datamining in general (as well as
machine learning in general)? This model would tell us what the
state-of-the-art is now as well as what it could be if megaproject
funding were available (eg tens of billions of dollars for R&D).
How close would such funding take us to a general datamining program and a
general learning program to surpass "human equivalency"? Are there any
obstacles other than funding which stand in the way of surpassing human
equivalency? If so, what specific innovations would be required to
overcome these obstacles?
FWP.

Email: firschng@nautilus-systems.com
Mail converted by MHonArc 2.2.0