RE: DM: RE: Data Forms for Mining (Limit on variables)

From: Helberg, Clay
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 11:18:56 -0500
Conceptually, it is a nice goal to automate as much of the data mining
process as possible. However, a great deal of the work that goes into data
preparation relies on domain knowledge rather than statistical
characteristics of the data itself. I'm not sure how practical it would be
to automate this--you'd need to have a very specific implementation for each
domain area, and the implementation would have to be further refined for the
data "environment", i.e. different banks will have different field names for
the same basic information, and may have slightly different methods for
calculating or recording the values. A "smart" data prep engine would need
to take all that into account. The implications are that such a thing would
most likely need to be custom-built for each application.

The alternative, using a "dumb" data prep engine that only understands
mathematical properties of the data, is unlikely to give optimal results,
and in many cases is likely to give ridiculous results. (See the statistical
literature on stepwise regression for examples of how automated field
selection can go catastrophically awry.)

								--Clay

Clay Helberg                           http://www.execpc.com/~helberg/
SPSS Documentation                      chelberg@spss.com
Speaking only for myself....