DM: Re: Classification problem

From: Alexey Tsymbal
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 16:47:43 +0300

Hello,

I had some experience in this kind of problems.
It is common especially in medicine, when you often have a few "positive"
examples of some disorder.
One approach to cope with it is to apply local methods.
One good in my opinion example was considered in:

Cardie, C., & Howe, N. Improving minority class prediction using
case-specific feature weights. Proc. 14th Int. Conf. on Machine Learning,
Morgan Kaufmann, pp. 57-65, 1997.

Sincerely,
Alexey.

Alexey Tsymbal, Researcher                 Department of CS & IS
E-mail: alexey@cs.jyu.fi                  University of Jyvaskyla
Phone:  +358 14 260 2547                     P.O.Box 35
Fax:    +358 14 260 3011                   SF-40351, Jyvaskyla
Office: Mattilanniemi D236                      FINLAND
WWW: cs.jyu.fi\~alexey