Re:DM: Anyone doing applied Ontology Discovery via DM?

From: Dr. Jen Que Louie
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 17:19:39 -0400
Formally, an ontology is the statement of a logical theory. Ontology is
applied in AI and Information Sciences in an attempt to define an explicit
formal specification of how to represent the objects, concepts and other
entities that are assumed to exist in some area of interest and the
relationships that hold among them.

For AI systems, what "exists" is that which can be represented. When the
knowledge about a domain is represented in a declarative language, the set
of objects that can be represented is called the universe of discourse. We
can describe the ontology of a program by defining a set of
representational terms. Definitions associate the names of entities in the
universe of discourse (e.g. classes, relations, functions or other objects)
with human-readable text describing what the names mean, and formal axioms
that constrain the interpretation and well-formed use of these terms.

The hierarchical structuring of knowledge about things by subcategorizing
them according to their essential (or at least relevant and/or cognitive)
qualities. This is an extension of the previous senses of "ontology"
(above) which has become common in discussions about the difficulty of
maintaining subject indices.

Check out http://www.mcc.com/projects/infosleuth/
InfoSleuth II is an agent-based application that applies ontology to
cluster, classify, and identify relationships in textual data. InfoSleuth
II is currently used for  navigating an EPA toxic material database, and
for data mining of bioinformatic data of the USDA.

Dr. Jen Que Louie
Nautilus Systems, Inc.
3867 Alder Woods Court
Fairfax, VA  22033-2441
(703) 385-8582 (voice)
(703) 385-4857 (FAX)
jqlouie@nautilus-systems.com
http://www.nautilus-systems.com
Competitive Edge From Information

At 08:14 AM 5/30/00 -0400, you wrote:
 >What does "ontology" meanin this context?
 >
 >when I took ontology in school it was in Metaphysics.  It was the study
of the
 >meaning of "being", i.e., what does it mean to say that something exists?

Email: firschng@nautilus-systems.com
Mail converted by MHonArc 2.2.0