DM: Neural Network Software

From: Cristina Davino
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:33:21 +0200

Dear friends,
we  are  developing a study on neural  networks software  whose purpose is
the improvement  of  the quality of neural networks software.
If you are the developer or the maintainer of a Neural Networks software,
we  would  be very pleased if you could fill  the
following  questionnaire  so  as  to  include  your software  in  our study
and if you could  supply  a list (name and e-mail) of three users who
might  be willing to give their assessment of your software's capabilities.

Please,  reply  by  e-mail to davino@dms.unina.it or  by fax to +39 081
675009 or by ordinary mail to Cristina  Davino  - Department
of  Mathematics  and Statistics, University of Naples Federico  II,  Via
Cinthia Monte S. Angelo, 80126 Naples, Italy.

          Thanks for cooperating.

          Best regards,
          Cristina Davino
*********************************
University of Naples Federico II Via Cinthia Monte S. Angelo 80126 Naples
ITALY
Tel. +39 081 675183
Fax +39 081 675009
e-mail davino@dms.unina.it
*********************************

1.  Software Name    ____________________
2.  Country_____________________
3.  Year of the first version of the product _______
4.  Year of the latest version of the product________
5.  On which platform can the software work?
|_| Dos
|_| Windows
|_| Macintosh
|_| Unix
|_| Other _____________
6.  How can be classified the software?
|_| Freeware
|_| Shareware
|_| Commercial
7.  What are the minimal configuration requirements?
Space    ____________      RAM ________________
Processor____________      Other    ________________
8. What is the programming language used for the development  of the
software?    ____________________
9. Has  the software a Graphical User Interface?  |_|Yes   |_|No
10. Does  the software provide a programming language that allows to
introduce user defined functions?
|_| Yes      if Yes, which one: ____________)
|_| No
11. How can you define the actual state of the product?
|_| finished
|_| under development and innovation
|_| under total changements
12. Is  the  software  part  of  some general  purpose  software? |_|
Yes    |_| No
13. Which is the maximum data sets size?
Number of rows:            Number of columns:
14. Which kind of data can be imported?
|_| Text/ASCII
|_| Excel
|_| Access
|_| Other ___________
15. Does the software provide the following utils? |_| a data sheet that
allows to input the data
|_| export of tables
|_| export of graphs
|_| print of output tables |_| print of output graph
16. What  are the main distribution and support features  of  the software?
|_| on-line help
|_| users'manual
|_| technical support available
|_| demo and examples
|_| guided installation program
17. Is it present an intelligent checking of user actions in your
software?   |_| Yes  |_| No
18. Which kind of learning algorithms are implemented?
|_| Supervised
|_| Unsupervised
|_| Supervised and Unsupervised
19. How many learning algorithms are implemented? ___________
20. Does your software provide Pre-processing techniques?
|_| Yes  (if Yes, Which ones: ____________________________)
|_| No
21. Does the software include missing values treatment procedures? |_|
Yes  (if Yes, Which ones: ____________________________)
|_| No
22. Does  your  software  provide automatic  procedures  for  the selection
of the architecture?
|_| Pruning       Which ones _______________
|_| Decision Trees
|_| Others    _________________
23. Which kind of transfer functions are implemented?
|_| linear
|_| logistic
|_| tangent
|_| hyperbolic
|_| Other ________
24. Which kind of training styles are implemented?
|_| Incremental training
|_| Batch training
25. Which kind of net input functions are implemented?
|_| product
|_| sum
|_| Other ___________
26. Does the software provide improving generalization techniques? |_|
Regularization
|_| Early Stopping
|_| Other ___________
27. Which kind of performance measures are implemented? |_| Mean Square Error
|_| Mean Absolute Error
|_| Root Mean Square Error |_| Other __________________
28. Does the software allows to introduce user defined: |_| transfer functions
|_| net input functions
|_| performance measures
29. Does   the  software  provide  validation  of  the   results techniques?
|_| Cross-validation
|_| Bootstrap
|_| Jackknife
|_| Others ______
30. What are the main extendibility features of the software? |_|
possibility to add user defined learning algorithms
|_| possibility to add user defined transfer functions |_| possibility to
eliminate some weights of the net
31. Do you think the software is easy to learn?
|_| very easy
|_| quite easy
|_| not easy
32. Is the software configurable by the user?|_| No   |_| Yes
33. Who are the software tipical users?
|_| very expert Neural Networks users |_| quite expert Neural Networks
users |_| not expert Neural Networks users
34.  What  is  the fields of application nearest to  the  software features?
|_| Statistics
|_| Phisics
|_| Engineering
|_| Biology
|_| Medicine
35. Do you think the software is suitable for:
|_| teaching
|_| research
|_| Other

Email: firschng@nautilus-systems.com