Re: DM: Performance of collaborative filtering algorithms

From: George Paliouras
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 08:25:55 +0300
Larry,

We have done empirical comparisons of clustering (model-based collab filtering)
algorithms. You might want to have a look at the following papers:

* G. Paliouras, C. Papatheodorou, V. Karkaletsis and C.D. Spyropoulos,
   "Clustering the Users of Large Web Sites into Communities," Proceedings
   of the International Conference on Machine Learning, 2000, pp. 719-726.

* G. Paliouras, C. Papatheodorou, V. Karkaletsis, C.D. Spyropoulos
   and V. Malaveta, "Learning User Communities for Improving
   the Services of Information Providers," Proceedings of the
   European Conference in Digital Librariew (ECDL'98), Lecture Notes
   in Computer Science, n. 1513, pp. 367-384, Springer-Verlag, 1998.

* G. Paliouras, C. Papatheodorou, V. Karkaletsis, P.Tzitziras and
   C.D. Spyropoulos, "Large-Scale Mining of Usage Data on Web Sites,"
   AAAI Spring Symposium on Adaptive User Interfaces, 2000.

* G. Paliouras, C. Papatheodorou, V. Karkaletsis, C.D. Spyropoulos
   and P.Tzitziras, "From Web Usage Statistics to Web Usage Analysis,"
   Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Systems Man and
   Cybernetics, v. II, pp. 159-164, 1999.

* G. Paliouras, V. Karkaletsis, C. Papatheodorou and C.D. Spyropoulos,
   "Exploiting Learning Techniques for the Acquisition of User Stereotypes
   and Communities," Proceedings of the International Conference on User
   Modelling (UM'99), CISM Courses and Lectures, n. 407, pp. 169-178,
   Springer-Verlag, 1999.

Let me know if you have trouble getting any of these.

George Paliouras

Larry Bookman wrote:

 > Hi
 >
 > Are there any papers in the research literature that document the
 > performance of collaborative filtering algorithms compared to other
 > algorithmic approaches (eg SVM approaches)? I am familiar with Breese,
 > Heckerman, and Cadie's paper "Empirical analysis of predictive algorithms
 > for collaborative filtering." In particular, anecdotal evidence suggests
 > that collaborative filtering algorithms do not scale. Are there any studies
 > that show this to be the case?
 >
 > Thanks
 > Larry Bookman

Email: firschng@nautilus-systems.com