DM: AW: Classification problem

From: Frank Buckler
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 19:30:38 +0200

If you are working with a standard DM Software there are two way:
1. duplicate the bad guy 5000times
2. select only the most important examples of the good guys. (or a mix of 1
and 2 )

Because all this isn't quite practical, the best method is to tackle on the
error function of the learning algorithm. Weight the error produced buy
misclassification of bad guys 5000 times harden than the error of the good
guys.

Therefore you need to have inside in the algo. That's the advantage of DM
Toolboxes for Software like MATLAB.

Note that the extent of duplicating or weighting is an expression of how
many costs would an misclassification in practice produce.

University of Hanover
Dep. Marketing II
buckler@m2.uni-hannover.de