RE: DM: DM Software Vendors

From: Collier, Ken
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 01:22:01 -0400 (EDT)
Thomas,
The DataQuest arm of the Gartner group wrote a report in 1997
presenting
data mining tool market share. Here is the reference:

Schroder, Norma "Data Mining Market Share 1997", Dataquest, 8 June
1998,
http://www.gartner.com

Obviously this is very outdated considering the rapid advancements
made in
this technology and by the mergers and acquisitions of vendor
companies
(e.g., ISL Decision Systems was recently bought by SPSS). However,
perhaps
this reference will help you find a more current analysis of its type.

BTW, I'm only assuming that by "Top 5..." you mean those with the most
market share. However, you may want to consider other factors as well
since
"most market share" doesn't necessarily mean "most robust" or "richest
algorithm set" or...

Good luck.
---
Ken Collier