RE: DM: Datamining tools ... black boxes...

From: Helberg, Clay
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 09:22:21 -0600

While there is a technical sense in which Warren is correct, I think the
more common usage in data mining is that elucidated by Ronny and Sergei.
Also, remember that whether the "constituents and means of operation" are
"known" or "unknown" is relative. To the programmers who designed the
software (and people like Warren and Ronny), the guts of the algorithm are
well understood; to the business analyst who must use the results of the
algorithm to make decisions, in at least some cases the algorithm may as
well be white magic from Planet Z-prime. The business analyst doesn't
understand the algorithm, so *to him* it really is a black box.

The definition quoted by Warren refers to an electric circuit with unknown
means of operation, but *someone* must know how it works or how could they
have built it? When a person calls something a black box, it's because *that
person* doesn't know how it works, not because *nobody* knows how it works.

--Clay

Clay Helberg                           http://www.execpc.com/~helberg/
SPSS Documentation                      chelberg@spss.com
Speaking only for myself....