AW: DM: Datamining Definition.

From: Frank Buckler
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 09:08:11 +0200

Defining DM , the Xth
I feel not comfortable with all those definitions, so that's my try:

For definitions we need objectives. In Data-Mining we apply some methods
which should extract some insides out of  data which relates to the
objectives of a specific enterprise....

Maximizing Profits:
To simplify  business objectives to maximum profit, isn't a sensible
definition from a managerial view. Profit is a short-term - term.
Shareholder Value (SV) is a long-term one. But maximizing SV is a) a complex
issue and b) do not guaranty a successful future. There are Stakeholder
(e.g. moral of the public ... (look at doubleclick...) ) etc witch have to
be considered ...  So , this is just to complex for an definition.
Lets better use instead of "maximizing profit" , "solve objectives which was
derived from the management".

Methods
There are many scientific field from which we could derive some DM-Methods.
I personally cant distinguish all the methods from there origin. This is
also not our cup of tea. Let us describe the methods from there objectives
too. What should this methods do?
For me, the best descriptions of what DM-Methods do is "Learning", they
examine inductive reasoning from Data.
They do no confirmatory statistics and do no deductive reasoning.

So here is my suggestion:

DM is: "Acquiring knowledge (laws and regularities) automatically from data
in order to achieve an business objective of an enterprise."

Frank Buckler
   University Hanover
   Department Marketing II
Buckler@m2.uni-hannover.de