DM: DW JOBS CNET.COM SF CA

From: Sean Lally
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 23:46:07 -0700

CNET.com the leader in it's category is hiring Engineers in a variety of IT
groups.

CNET has achieved an incredibly LOW rate of turnover in its IT dept. Right
now our turnover is less than half of the industry average and job
satisfaction is very high. We have done this by hiring great managers and
giving them and the staff the tools to be successful. We have great projects
provide a extensive training. We are also very competitive when it comes to
compensation both cash and stock options. The truth is that we have made
engineers rich with our stock options and we will continue to as we continue
to grow into the global leader in our category.

CNET's goal is dominate and become synonymous with our category in the same
way that MTV and ESPN have with theirs.

The CNET data warehouse (DW) is being developed to allow the extraction of
value from the several million transactions we collect each day,
transactions in the form of user requests for Web pages. The DW will be the
authoritative source for raw transaction data and will be available on a
daily basis for ad hoc queries and data mining. In addition, the raw data
will be summarized each day into auxiliary databases, where it will be used
to generate standard reports, as well as to support simpler ad hoc queries.

The DW consists of a Sybase IQ Server and several report-generating and
query tools, along with a developing infrastructure consisting of data
movement, cleaning, and loading tools, as well as metadata and reporting
systems.

The data warehousing group is responsible for: architecture, development,
documentation, and maintenance of the DW systems; definition, documentation,
and maintenance of DW metadata; generation and production of reports
(standard and custom); fulfillment of internal customer needs related to
data analysis and reporting.

Data Warehousing Senior Software Engineer
Responsibilities:

A Senior Software Engineer in the Data Warehousing group is responsible for
the analysis, design, development, and debugging of software supporting the
decision-support environment at CNET.

Specifically, the Senior Software Engineer will be responsible for:

defining overall data warehouse architectures and setting standards
data modeling
designing logical and physical schemas for the data warehousing databases
programming data acquisition and transformation processes
automating, maintaining, and updating the loading process
developing monitoring systems to ensure that the data has been updated as
expected
Senior Software Engineers report to the Director of Data Warehousing.

Requirements:

The candidate must have:

a strong foundation in databases and SQL
a strong foundation in programming languages such as C, C++, and PERL
a good appreciation of issues relating to large-scale systems and
scalability
excellent communication skills to analyze business needs
good project management skills to lead a group of developers
Candidates who have experience with data warehouses and decision-support
environments will be strongly preferred. Specifically, candidates who are
familiar with the following aspects of large-scale data warehousing will be
preferred: data modeling, data extraction and transformation, capacity
planning, and performance tuning.

If you are interested in this position, please email your resume to
seanl@cnet.com To ensure the fastest possible review, your resume should be
sent in plain or ASCII text in the body of the email with your name,
address, phone number, and email address at the top. Please do not send
attachments.

Decision Support Engineer
A Decision Support Engineer in the Data Warehousing Group is primarily
responsible for developing the end-user interfaces, tools, and data models
necessary to produce reports and analysis developed using various DSS
front-end tools at CNET. Currently, these tools consist of MicroStrategy's
DSS toolset and other custom Perl/CGI scripts, but other tools may be added
in the coming year.

Specifically, the Decision Support Engineer is responsible for the design,
development and management of the metadata underlying the decision support
environment at CNET, the translation of ad hoc power-user queries into
standardized, reliable, and scalable report scripts and interfaces that can
be accessed by less sophisticated users on a regular basis, the development
of prototypes that explore new reports and analysis requirements, and the
education of power users to make them self-sufficient in developing
customized reports and analysis. Decision Support Engineers report to the
Director of Data Warehousing.

Requirements:

The candidate must have:

A strong foundation in decision support tools such as the MicroStrategy,
Business Objects, or Information Advantage toolkits, a good foundation in
databases and SQL, familiarity with scripting languages such as Perl,
exposure to compiled languages such as C/C++, excellent communication
skills.

The candidate should be willing to learn other analysis tools being used at
CNET such as Excel and Paradox.

Finally, it would be helpful for the candidate to have a background in
statistics.

Email: firschng@nautilus-systems.com
Mail converted by MHonArc 2.2.0