RE: DM: Data Mining Software Market and Data Mining Vendor's

From: osborn
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 12:06:44 +1000

 > See http://www.idagroup.com/v1n1801.htm
 > for 1997 market estimate by Gartner (about 40m overall).

I guess I see a confusion of the categories with the term
"Data Mining Tool". The same thing happened with AI and
ML "tools/methods" earlier. They became solutions and
parts of DSS or database or report generation or data profilers
or EDA tools. The "method" ended up not being "AI" or "ML"
(and achieved greater corporate acceptance).

The DMNews takes a narrow view of DM software...

Intelligent Miner, Clementine, Enterprise Miner and the like are parts
of DWH management, visualisation, segmentation methods and predictive
model construction, aren't they? They cost a lot, but deliver for
good DWHs - easy model prototyping, transforming and data extracts.

Purchased software which performs DM is often not one of the above...

A lot of predictive modelling and discovery (on messy or pristine data)
doesn't use those tools, but Oracle/Access/Infomix into S-Plus, SPSS,
neural net tools, GAs, Bayesian tools, etc (even Excel). And (because
of the interactive exploratory nature of the work), they work too. BUT
maybe that's not "DM", because it's not DWH integrated and proprietory.

The client/corporation pays for timely results. The total software bill
underwriting these results (and duds) IMHO is >> $40M...

Certainly, from my [limited] vantage point, the client/corporate spend
is
increasing much faster than -3% pa, more like 50%...

But I don't want to argue (further) about it.

Tom.
Dr Tom Osborn
Director of Modelling
NTF